Nick Kyrgios officially pulls out of the Australian Open

Nick Kyrgios officially pulls out of the Australian Open

Nick Kyrgios has wasted little time using his new platform to get news out to his many fans.

The 28-year-old, who announced on Friday he had joined OnlyFans, has used the controversial platform to reveal his plans for next month’s Australian Open.

The BBL is back! Watch every match live with no ad breaks during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial Today >

The Canberran, who reached the Wimbledon singles final and won the Australian Open doubles alongside Thanasi Kokkinakis in an outstanding 2022 season, has barely been seen this year.

He has only played one official match for the whole year, which he lost, and now his start to 2024 is also being delayed due to injury.

“Hey guys, Nick Kyrgios here, obviously had a really tough year with injury, had that knee surgery and came back a little too soon (which) set me back a little bit, obviously had some wrist issues,” Kyrgios said.

“So this is a very disappointing time for me but yeah I won’t be able to compete at the 2024 Australian Open.

“Obviously heartbreaking, I’ve had so many amazing memories there and I just want to really get back to playing at the top of my game and doing it right and I need a little more time.

“I was so close to winning a grand slam, I want to make sure that my body is going to have the time it needs to come back so please bear with me.

“Even though I won’t be there competing this year at the AO, I still will be around, commentating matches, being around, I’ve got some special things planned, so please be excited still.

“You know I’ll be there and hopefully see all the fans, I’ll see you there.”

Kyrgios’ only match for 2023 was on grass in Stuttgart back in June as he tried to prepare for Wimbledon.

He lost in straight sets to China’s Wu Yibing and has not been seen on a competitive court since.

It was becoming clear earlier this week that Kyrgios’ chances of returning at the Australian Open were extremely slim.

His name was still missing from the tournament’s entry list after seven more male players entered the tournament using protected rankings on Wednesday night.

Rafael Nadal, Marin Cilic, Denis Shapovalov, Soonwoo Koon, Jiri Vesely, Milos Raonic and Reilly Opelka all locked themselves into the tournament using protected rankings this week, but Kyrgios was still nowhere to be seen on the entry list.

It means his only chance of entering the tournament now was via a wildcard prior to his official withdrawal on Saturday.

Australian Open boss Craig Tiley was adamant showstopper Kyrgios would be at the event in “some form” when asked about his availability earlier this week.

“The update is day-by-day with him,” Tiley said about Kyrgios.

“He’ll be best to assess that … we’re going to have Nick here in some form or another in January.

“Hopefully it is to play because he’s a crowd-pleaser. We love watching Nick and love having him around.”

Now it seems Kyrgios, who received a mostly positive response to his commentary debut on the Tennis Channel last month, could be seen back in the booth at Melbourne Park.

Read related topics:Nick Kyrgios
administrator

Related Articles